At Alston & Bird, our people trust the people they work for, take pride in what they do, enjoy the people they work with, and serve the communities in which they live. Our environment has been praised as one of the most open and receptive in the United States, not only among law firms, but also among all businesses. Alston & Bird has been ranked by Fortune magazine as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For©" for 19 years in a row.
What we’re looking for:
Alston & Bird is seeking a dynamic, well-rounded, self-starter for the position of Attorney Hiring Coordinator in our Washington, D.C. office. This is a high-impact position requiring contact with lawyers and staff at all levels of the firm. Reporting to the Senior Firmwide Attorney Hiring Manager, this individual will help administer the lawyer recruiting function the Washington D.C. office while also working on a firm-wide team with project-oriented responsibilities. Qualified candidates will have the capacity to handle seasonally-intense workloads with a professional and can-do attitude.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Summer Program Responsibilities:
- Coordinate special projects relating to the summer program.
- Coordinate logistics of the summer associate program including arrival preparation, orientation, work assignment coordination and database management.
- Maintain summer associate program calendar.
- Plan and implement social aspects of the summer program.
- Prepare materials for summer associate orientation.
- Conduct office tours for the summer associates as part of orientation.
- Collect and email housing information to the incoming summer associates.
- Coordinate partners hosting summer associate dinner parties with logistical details including catering, invitations, dates, etc. and manage summer associate attendance at these parties.
- Attend key summer program events.
- Prepare summer associate work files for the Hiring Committee meetings.
- Attend Summer Program Coordinator meetings and weekly planning meetings held by Attorney Hiring Manager.
- Attend the end-of-summer Hiring Committee meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Fall Recruitment Responsibilities:
- Plan, coordinate and attend (as appropriate) spring 1L recruiting events.
- Manage 1L hiring if applicable.
- Manage and coordinate the callback interview process including dinner arrangements and confirmation of the night of the dinner with hosting attorneys
- Schedule in-office interviews, being careful to craft perfect (or near perfect) interviewing experiences for each candidate.
- Greet candidates coming in for callback interviews.
- Plan and implement on-campus cocktail parties and offer dinners at select schools.
- Coordinate with the selection, ordering and delivery of holiday gifts for Hiring Committee members and on-campus interviewers.
- Help to prepare applicant files for review by the Hiring Partner and the Hiring Committee.
- Order lunch for Hiring Committee meetings.
- Attend and participate in all Hiring Committee Subcommittee meetings.
- Manage 3L and judicial clerkship hiring as needed.
- Meet with potential new vendors being considered for use by the department including catering companies, special event coordinators, party rental companies, temporary housing agencies and special events site sales managers.
- Participate in regular meetings with Conference Services Department regarding firm events.
- Maintain knowledge of policies and procedures related to attorney hiring, orientation and development in order to respond in a timely and accurate manner to internal and external customers.
- Coordinate housing and arrival of foreign interns and visiting lawyers.
- Participate in departmental activities including lunches, meetings and other team-building exercises in order to maintain a team atmosphere within the department and to project a positive image of the department to the firm at all times.
- Assist supervisor(s) with other department projects as requested.
- Flexibility to travel required.
- Ability to work above and beyond a normal schedule seasonally as needed is also a requirement of this position.
Skills Needed to Be Successful:
- Ability to express self effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships throughout the Firm.
- Ability to effectively handle telephone contacts in a friendly and professional manner that reflects well on the Firm.
- Thorough knowledge of Firm systems and procedures to efficiently meet departmental and supervisors demands.
- Excellent organizational skills for prioritizing workload, ability to manage several projects at once and attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Previous experience in a professional services firm required; attorney hiring experience preferred.
- Excellent proficiency with Microsoft Office applications; Word and Excel.
Alston & Bird LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in relation to our recruiting, hiring, and promoting practices.
The statements contained in this position description are not necessarily all-inclusive, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities.
Professional business references and a background check will be required for all final applicants selected for a position.
Alston & Bird is not currently accepting resumes from agencies for this position. If you are a recruiter, search firm, or employment agency, you will not be compensated in any way for your referral of a candidate even if Alston & Bird hires the candidate.